Floyd County Veterans Assistance Programs

 The Veterans Assistance program is funded by Floyd County.  The assistance provides veterans with emergency basic needs. The Floyd County Veterans Affairs will request that you fill out a application for assistance, and provide documentation that you are a veteran with a honorable discharge.  Your qualifications will be based on your income level, and if there is effort from the veteran to acquire employment.     
Basic Emergency Needs Include: 
  • Burial
  • Utilities
  • Rent
  • Prescriptions
  • Emergency dental up to $200 once a year

To be eligible for assistance you must be:

  • Veteran with a honorable discharge
  • A resident of Floyd County
  • Meet certain income guidelines
  • Apply for any other federal benefits available
  • If the veteran is not physically, or mentally challenged and is able to work, the veteran must register with the Iowa Work Force Center to apply for work. If the veteran is not physically, or mentally challenged and is able to work.
  • https://www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/veteran-employment-services

What We Cannot do:

    • Provide a bond for a veteran incarcerated
    • Use assistance to pay on a mortgage
    • Pay towards utility/rent without the veterans name being on the bill

Local county organizations we work with:

We work closely with Floyd County Social Services, and use the same income guidelines for acquiring benefits. We have a list of area local churches that can sometimes help provide assistance depending on what their guidelines state.  Toys for Tots is a proactive organization that can provide help during the holiday months. The American Legion Auxiliary provides assistance to our veterans by getting the community involved to raise money for our local veterans. Every year they provide different programs to our veterans with the funds they have acquired.  The Charles City Elks Lodge #418 has earned grant money that is solely used for he veterans in Floyd County, and neighboring counties during the holiday months.  We work with Family Alliance for Veterans of America (FAVA).  FAVA is the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF).  The purpose of the SSVF program is to assist homeless veterans and their families; veterans at risk of homelessness.  The Charles City Chamber of Commerce helps to promote our services out of this office.  The Charles City Area Revitalization has made us a "Home Base Iowa" County.  Meaning we have loan incentives to provide to veterans living or moving into Floyd County that want to purchase a home.  This program was blessed by the governor of Iowa recognizing that we are a military friendly county.  Acknowledging that we are a Home Base Iowa County means we are improving our veteran benefits and extending them in other directions.  Employers in Floyd County are to take this into consideration when filling positions, by utilizing our skilled military individuals.  
State Programs 

            *The Iowa Trust Fund."  This is a wonderful outreach to get assistance that is not offered at county level funding. Such as help with: Vehicle repair, dental, eye glasses, job training, durable equipment for home, family counseling, emergency home repair, ambulance and emergency room services.
            *Donated Dental - a program to help  acquire needed dental treatment individuals cannot afford

Federal Assistance We help with:

  • Filing for compensation (service-connected disability claims)
  • Filing for pensions for veterans/or widow's of veterans - survivors'/death pensions (Note: Pensions are for veterans or their spouses of wartime era, that are over the age of 65.  To qualify you must have low income, and high monthly medical expenses. There is three different types of pensions: Basic pension, housebound pensions, or aid and attendance pensions.