CHECKLIST FOR RECORDING DOCUMENTS
TO HELP US RECORD YOUR DOCUMENTS FASTER AND MORE EFFICIENTLY, WE RECOMMEND THAT
YOU FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES:
1. Mail all documents to "Floyd County Recorder, 101 S. Main St. - Suite
#306, Charles City, Iowa, 50616".
2. Clearly indicate where the recorded documents are to be returned. A
self-addressed stamped envelope is always appreciated.
3. Required 3" margin for recording information at top of document.
4. Documents may be printed only on one side and may not be permanently
bound or in a continuous form. All documents must be legible and
5. Effective January 1, 2000, each document of conveyance, including a
change of title, must contain the statement: "Address Tax Statement to: (An
appropriate name and mailing address of the taxpayer). This statement must
appear immediately below the preparer's information.
6. Effective January 1, 2002, all notaries public commissioned by the
State of Iowa must use a stamp or seal with their commission number and the
expiration date of their commission.
7. Effective July 1, 2002, the preparer of a document is prohibited from
including an individual's federal social security number on any document that
is to be recorded in the county recorder's office.
8. Check to make sure that you have enclosed the correct recording fee
and/or transfer tax and make all checks payable to "FLOYD COUNTY RECORDER." If
a Declaration of Value and/or a Groundwater Hazard Form are required, make sure
that they are completed and signed, with phone numbers included.
9. If the deed is exempt from transfer tax, the correct exemption
pursuant to Chapter 428A.2 must be typed on the face of the deed.
10. Do not use the legal description found on the tax statement. It is
only an abbreviated description.
11. Make sure that all documents are dated, signed, and sealed (if
required). Type - or print legibly - names under signatures. Signatures must be
in black or dark blue ink. Only documents with original signatures will be
12. Grantor & Grantees' names on first page of document.