Legal Resources for Vets
One question we do get asked is: Is there any legal help for veterans through the VA?
Yes, but resources are limited to what they can help with. Depending on the situation, veterans tend to have to go outside of the VA for legal help.
Nationwide VA List:
- Local Resource: The Veterans Justice Outreach Program: If you have a legal issue pending in the criminal justice system.
Purpose: Assists you with direct outreach, assessment, case management in local jails/courts. Civic Matters depending on the situation.
- Des Moines Iowa VAMC Contact: Sara Glenn, LISW, Veteran Justice Outreach Specialist, Email: Sara.Glenn@va.gov (515) 577-8892. Hours : Varies
- The VA has representatives that can help, but cannot always solve the action behind whatever charges are pending.
- If you are looking to resolve something through the DOT this is a separate entity of the justice system.
Other Iowa Legal Services Available
- Private Attorneys - This needs to be sought out by the veteran (Example: Divorce) The VA will not accommodate a veteran’s situation, when it was a decision a person made by getting married. ISBA Find-A-Lawyer Service www.iowafindalawyer.com
- http://ww2.findmilitarylawyers.com/ Related Links: Criminal Lawyers for Veterans, Military Defense Lawyer, Attorney Disability Insurance, Military Disability Lawyers, Military Compensation Lawyers, Veterans Attorney.
- Iowa Concern: Legal Advice and Lawyers Answer the Questions. They can pick apart if you have a case, and what needs to be sought after to resolve your concerns, and issues. Iowa Concern (Cedar Rapids): 1-800-447-1985 (Free Service)
- Iowa legal Aid: is the statewide provider of free civil legal representation to low-income Iowans, working out of 10 regional offices across the state. Mason City Office: (641) 423- 4651
- Legal Hotline for Older Iowans: 1-800-992-8161 Monday-Friday from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
Des Moines, Iowa 50314
(800) 992-8161 or (515) 282-8161
(Statewide service to Iowans 60 years and older)
- The Iowa Bar Association: Will assist you if you are in need of an attorney for a civil legal matter but cannot afford one. In Iowa there are limited resources and programs available to provide free civil legal assistance. When you call a program to request assistance, you will be screened for eligibility. A client is eligible for assistance if their income and assets fall within the established guidelines and if the case fits within the priorities set by the program. Not all clients who are financially eligible will be able to receive assistance because of the limited staff or volunteer resources of the programs. The program will assess your case to determine if they may be able to assist you. Your case may be handled by one of the staff attorneys at the program. In some circumstances your case will be referred to a private attorney who has volunteered to assist persons referred through a pro bono program.
Fax: (515) 243-2511
- HELP Legal Assistance
736 Federal Street, Suite 1401
Davenport, IA 52803
- Hawkeye Legal Service, Inc. provides superior service 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. We work for law firms, government agencies, and private individuals to provide process serving, and private investigations, throughout Iowa. (515) 276-3984
- Process Serving & Investigative Services Include:
- Statewide Process Serving
- Address History
- Vehicle Registration
- Court Filing
- Court Retrieval
- Document Retrieval
- Background Check
- Private Investigator Work